The latest generation of aluminium sliding patio doors offers sophisticated and technically excellent products that are justifiably gaining renewed awareness with homeowners.
For the last 15 years, the bifolding door has been the product of choice for consumers and the door industry. However, a reinvigorated interest in sliding doors has resulted in aluminium systems companies improving their existing range of doors and bringing out new products. As a result, aluminium sliding patio doors are better than ever before.
In the home, the biggest advantage of fitting an aluminium sliding door over a bifolding door or a French door is the better views and the larger panes of glass.
Better still, sliding doors are slimmer, more secure, very weather resistant and easy to slide whatever their size. They also bring all the colour advantages of powder coated aluminium with hundreds of colours to choose available. Check out who makes the slimmest sliding doors.
What type of aluminium sliding patio doors are available?
Many of the leading aluminium systems companies in the UK now offer a sophisticated range of sliding doors with a broad spectrum of designs, aesthetics, performance and functions.
Sliding doors will usually feature flat profiles giving a clean appearance on the horizontal and vertical profiles. Many of the sliding door available now accommodate glass panels of 9 square metres or more. Sliding doors enable wider, taller and more expansive glass walls with reduced visible aluminium.
Standard sliding patio doors are available from two to six panels. They can be fitted as stand-alone doors or as part of a screen spanning one or more floors. You can even design a modern sliding door to disappear into a wall pocket as well as having a full open corner design.
Many specialist door providers even create aluminium sliding doors with virtually no limitations on the number of sliding panels available.
In considering a sliding door for the home, there are four types to choose from.
Inline aluminium sliding doors.
Inline sliding patio doors feature the familiar arrangement where doors slide within their frame. Inline doors come with the option of fixed or sliding panels depending on their size and configuration.
Lift and Slide aluminium doors.
Lift and slide aluminium patio doors work with more sophisticated gearing and components. The door handle rotates to lift the entire door panel away from the frame and then sliding as normal. The benefit of lift and slide doors is ventilation and more flexibility as a door set.
Tilt and Slide aluminium doors
Similar to Lift and slide doors, the tilt and slide arrangement offers a tilt facility when the doors are closed for convenient ventilation.
Slimline sliding doors
Slimline aluminium sliding doors are the latest generation of door designed to provide a minimalist or near frameless appearance. Other descriptions for these types of thin patio doors are panoramic sliding doors, ultra-thin sliding doors, floor-to-ceiling sliding doors, frameless sliding doors or minimalist sliding doors.
This new breed of patio door is substantially thinner than other types of doors, yet capable of heights of up to 5 metres or more with some highly specialised products. Slimline sliding doors are even available with an automatic opening and closing action.
Some of the major aluminium sliding patio door manufacturers and suppliers
All the Aluminium Systems Companies in the UK offer one or more sliding patio door products. There are also European systems available as well as those doors that are standard systems and rebranded. They well-known providers in the UK include:
- Aïr Sliding Doors
- Aïr sliding doors are exclusively designed and manufactured by Everglade Windows with a 25-year guarantee. The premium suite of Aïr doors comprises the aïr 500 LS inline sliding door as well as the aïr 600 LS lift and slide doors. Everglade has launched a slimline and minimalist sliding patio door with a 20mm interlock, the aïr 20SL.
- AluK Sliding Doors
- Aluk sliding doors come from one of the UK’s biggest systems companies, comprising the popular Optio BSC94 inline sliding door, the Luminia SC156 Lift and Slide door and the brand new Infinium slimline sliding door.
- Alumen Cor-Vision Plus Sliding Doors
- The Alumen Cor-Vision Plus is new to the UK market and is the system from Cortizo of Spain. Cor-Vision Plus offers 25mm interlocks, a super slim appearance and is marketed as a slimline, contemporary and minimalist sliding door. Cor-Vision plus also meets the need for those with large scale doors. Each sliding panel can be made up to 16 square metres.
- Anglian Aluminium Sliding Patio Doors
- Anglian are a national company serving the UK home improvement market. In their broader range of PVCu products is an inline aluminium sliding door product offering Yale Locking, low thresholds and colour choice.
- Arkay Windows Edgeglide and Infiniglide Sliding Doors
- Arkay Windows are another company with Bifold Direct to offer the Edgeglide and Infiniglide suite of contemporary sliding doors. This modern range of doors offers slim sight lines, premium design, extensive colour options and high security. Both doors are based on existing systems and not exclusive to Arkay. Infiniglide 3 sliding doors with a 20mm interlock are ideal for standard openings with door panels up to three metres in height. Infiniglide 6 with a 24mm interlock is the ultimate architectural sliding door with heights up to 6 metres possible.
- Artline by SAPA Sliding Doors
- The Artline sliding door range from SAPA Building Systems is the latest generation of slimline sliding doors with narrow aesthetics, creating glass walls, sliding doors and openable windows.
- Bifold Direct
- Bifold Direct are an established provider of sliding doors offering the Edgeglide, Infiniglide and Panoglide range of doors, based on existing systems. Bifold Direct are also accredited aïr sliding door retailers.
- Comar Sliding Doors
- Comar sliding doors are extensively specified in the UK, available as the Comar 7P.i lift and slide door and the option of Comar 7P.i Tilt and Slide and Inline sliding patio doors.
- Centor Sliding Doors
- Centor is one of the premier sliding door manufacturers, having won design awards for their products. Centor sliding doors are available as the Centor XO Sliding door with a wood interior and aluminium exterior.
- Dutemann Sliding Doors
- Dutemann fabricates and supplies the Glide-S premium sliding door, featuring a 47mm mullion, low threshold and contemporary door furniture.
- Express Sliding Doors
- Express Bifolding Doors is one of the biggest home improvement companies in the UK. Express provide the XP Glide inline sliding door, XP Glide R Lift and Slide door, XP Slide Panoramic Sliding Door and XP Glide S products, based on existing aluminium systems.
- Everest are famous for their Fit the Best slogan and one of the big national home improvement companies. Their aluminium sliding door is based on the SAPA Crown product, available in black, grey and white.
- Exlabesa KLS Sliding Doors
- Exlabesa is a less well-known company in the residential sector, yet you will find their products specified in commercial developments of flats and houses. Their KLS sliding patio door is available as a lift and slide or inline option and offers sliding door panels of 3.3metres wide and 3.2m high, better than most doors on the market. An affordable, quality aluminium sliding door for the home.
- System 22 Sliding Doors by Fineline Aluminium.
- The System 22 Sliding Door by Fineline aluminium is a structurally bonded patio door offering very thin proportions and impressive aesthetics. System 22 sliding doors offer up to five tracks, a 22mm interlock as well as curved on plan sliding door options. 3.5 metre heights are also possible.
- Hedgehog Aluminium Systems
- Hedgehog Aluminium Systems offer framed and minimalist sliding doors under their Sieger range, also offered by other installers and resellers. Hedgehog provides Passivhaus sliding doors, Sieger 30 glass sliding doors, framed sliding doors, minimal sliding doors and internal sliding doors.
- ID Systems Sliding Doors
- ID Systems provide theEDge minimalist sliding door, the Grand Slider II inline patio door as well as being a reseller for the Sunflex SF20 product.
- IQ Glass
- IQ Glass are one of the UK’s best known providers of high-end sliding doors for architectural glazing. IQ Glass provides the Inmotion, Minimalist Windows System and Minimal Windows 4+ range of sliding doors
- Kawneer Sliding Doors
- Kawneer is one of the best known systems companies in the world. The UK market is served with the Kawneer AA3572 Lift and Slide aluminium door.
- Keller Sliding Doors
- Keller is a specialist provider of sliding doors, windows and Wintergardens, offering the minimal windows® range of frameless sliding doors, minimal windows®4+ and minimal windows® 4+ highline ranges.
- Kloeber provides both aluminium and hybrid sliding doors with their euroslide, kustomslide mono and kustomslide plus products, both based on existing aluminium systems.
- Origin Sliding Doors
- Origin is one of the UK’s best known brands in bifolding doors, aluminium windows and residential front doors. They are shortly to launch a minimalist new door called the Origin Inline Sliding Door.
- PanoramaH! Sliding Doors
- When it comes to the most innovative architectural glazing, Panoramah! creates structural glass sliding doors with capabilities few systems can match, such as a 27m2 single sliding glass panel.
- Reynaers Sliding Doors
- The Reynaers CP130, CP155 and Infinity sliding door ranges come from one of the world’s best known aluminium systems companies. Reynaers are renowned for great design and high performance in sliding and lift and slide doors.
- SAPA Crown Sliding Doors
- SAPA Building Systems provide a big range of aluminium sliding doors, including Crown Sliding Patio door, Confort 160, Comfort 125, Artline and the commercial Hawk Sliding Door for garage showrooms.
- Schuco Sliding Doors
- Schuco sliding doors are regarded by industry professionals as one of the best doors on the market. The ASS70 sliding door range includes automatic and manual sliding doors, Schuco Panorama sliding door, ASS70 inline, tilt and slide and lift and slide versions.
- Smarts Visoglide Sliding Doors
- Smart Systems are the biggest aluminium systems company in the UK. Smarts offer the Ultraglide, Slide 2000 & Visoglide Plus range of inline and lift and slide doors.
- Senior Systems Sliding Doors
- Senior Architectural Systems offer products renowned for the thermal performance and quality. The PURe SLIDE range and Series 1 Hybrid range of sliding doors are available.
- Sieger Sliding Doors
- Sieger Sliding doors are provided by specialist aluminium companies such as Hedgehog Aluminium. The Sieger range comprises the Sieger 30 and Sieger 85 sliding glass doors.
- Stayfix Architectural Systems
- Stayfix based in north London offer the S3 lift and slide patio door system. The S3 sliding patio door from Stayfix can achieve patio door panel widths of 3300mm and up to 3250mm high.</dd
- Skyglaze Ltd
- Skyglaze offers the Cortizo sliding door system and is credited with being the first UK company to offer Corzizo doors in the UK. They are also the only company to have installed all versions of this door. The Cor Vision Sliding Door from Skyglaze provides expansive, minimalist sliding doors up to 4000mm wide and 4000mm high with a virtually frameless appearance as well as the option of motorized sliding doors subject to sizes.
- Sunflex Sliding Doors
- Sunflex is one of the premier names in sliding doors. Sunflex offer the Aluminium SVG35 and SVG83 sliding doors, frameless SF20 sliding door and the non-thermal SF42 for internal applications.
- Sunparadise Sliding Doors
- Sunparadise offer a range of sliding door and sliding balcony solutions. In aluminium you can buy the Thermoslide 80, the Supertherm80 PST and Thermo60 PST parallel-slide-and-tilt system, the VG15 internal glass wall and room divider as well as the BAL160 lift and slide door.
- Technal Systems Lumeal
- Lumeal by Technal (part of SAPA Group) is a new slimline sliding door for residential installations. Lumeal offers the option of a visible or a minimalist sliding door with aluminium sight lines of under 80mm. The sliding sash gearing and aluminium is mostly hidden to maximise the amount of glass and light.
- Ultraline Sliding Doors
- Ultraline sliding doors come from Greenways Architectural offering a slimline sliding door system that integrates with windows, roofs and folding doors. It features electronic locking and a 20mm interlock.
- Üni_Slide panoramic door from Fenster Fabrications
- The Üni_Slide panoramic sliding door from Fenster Fabrications is one of the new breed of minimalist, slimline sliding doors, offering sight lines at the mullion of just 20mm. Each sliding door panel is possible from 2.2metres wide up to 3 metres in height, with excellent U-Values, colour choice and security.
- Velfac Sliding Doors
- Velfac offer a hybrid sliding door product under the Velfac 200 brand. Velfac 200 is a hybrid door consisting of aluminium outside and wood inside.
- Warmcore Sliding Doors
- The new Warmcore Inline Sliding door complements the existing Warmcore bifolding door and Warmcore window ranges, thanks to its innovative PVCu core giving excellent U-Values.
Looking for aluminium sliding patio doors? Contact us.
With knowledge of many of the major systems, we offer free information and advice about these and other aluminium sliding door products, types and designs available. With such a diverse choice of products to choose from, we can provide guidance on the correct product, it’s suitability for your project and your budget. We can also put you in touch with local providers.
Contact us if you would like futher information about aluminium sliding patio doors.