Steel replacement windows are the aluminium alternative for the replacement of old steel windows or Crittall® windows. For homeowners looking to replace their steel windows with a similar alternative, aluminium now provides a variety of windows and doors designed to replace old metal windows.
Original metal windows possess a particular appearance, namely very thin lines to the outer frame and window sashes, period hardware and an authentic steel window appearance.
Art Deco, mock Tudor, Heritage properties, cottages, townhouses, mansion blocks and old 1930’s apartments all feature original Crittall® windows as well as doors.
Many suburban houses also feature curved bay windows in steel with original curved glass. Often referred to as Sunshine Bays, PVCu has replaced many of these windows over the years. However, little thought is given to recreating the curved glass.
Over the last thirty years, many old steel windows have been replaced with any PVCu or aluminium window. Old steel windows were single glazed, draughty and inefficient.
Architects, estate agents, property professionals, historians and those interested in preserving heritage buildings often cite that replacement PVCu or aluminium windows have taken away the character that steel windows provided to a house. In response to this and for those homeowners that want all the advantages of modern double glazing but without compromising the value or style of their property, aluminium steel replacement systems are a credible replacement window option.
Today, aluminium systems companies have brought out a range of windows designed to replace old metal window and retaining the original appearance as much as possible. The same has been done for doors as well. There are also specialist manufacturers of aluminium steel replacement windows and doors. These companies have chosen to specialise in steel window replacements and have adapted existing aluminium systems to create excellent steel replacement windows.
Types of Steel Replacement Windows and Doors.
Aluminium steel replacement windows are available as fixed windows, side opening casements and top opening casements. Some products are also available as top swing reversible windows, typically seen in 1960’s and 1970’s tower blocks.
Many steel windows are fitted direct to the structure, others within stone surrounds, stone mullions and hardwood subframes. Aluminium steel replacement windows are available in a choice of frame depths and designs for fitting into existing surrounds as well as new openings.
Aluminium steel replacement windows are available with a selection of vent profiles, heritage bars and extensive colour choices. You can even choose aluminium steel replacement windows with traditional monkey tail handles, peg stays and even replica window hinges.
All of these features are intended to offer a faithful reproduction of original steel windows.
Steel replacement doors in aluminium.
Some systems companies have also brought out single and French door version for those homeowners wishing to replace their old Crittall door.
Steel replacement doors are now available with vertical and horizontal bars, slim sight lines and even the panel effect housing the door handle and lock. You can even have steel replacement doors with side panels and top lights.
Steel Window Systems and Providers
- Aluk Systems
- Aluk Systems offer a new range of aluminium windows ideal for steel window replacements. In the range is the AluK Optio 58BW ST steel replacement with minimal sight lines and impressive thermal and acoustic performance.
- Duration Windows
- Duration Windows in Canvey Island offer the Heritage Window Range designed by Duration for replacing existing steel windows. Duration market Heritage as a steel look-a-like window and also provide steel look-a-like doors.
- Everglade Windows
- Everglade Windows are one of the UK’s biggest and longest established trade and retail window and door manufacturers. Everglade provides the Smarts Alitherm Heritage 47 suite of steel replacement windows.
- Smart Systems
- Smart Systems is the UK’s biggest aluminium systems company and can be credited for creating the Smarts Alitherm Heritage 47 window system. It is one of the most credible steel replacement systems on the market.
- Jennyfields Steel Window Replacements
- Jennyfields Windows, based in Farnham, Surrey are a specialist steel window replacement company with a very impressive portfolio of residential installations featuring their custom-designed aluminium window and door.
- Kawneer are an international systems company and offer the GT70 Renovation window, designed for Heritage buildings and steel window replacements. Its suitable for new build installations as well.
- Reynaers Aluminium Systems
- Reynaers has recently introduced their new aluminium window system that offers 8 possible combinations suitable for steel window replacements. This includes the Classic, Ferro, Cubic, Slimline, Renaissance and Hidden Vent.
- Schuco Aluminium Systems
- Schuco Aluminium Systems provide their Schuco AWS 70 SC Window with a choice of vent and frame profiles that can be used for the replacement of old metal windows.
- SAPA Building Systems
- SAPA Buildings Systems offer the Crown 50mm casement window that, while not a specific steel replacement window is widely used to replace old metal windows.
- The Heritage Window Company
- The Heritage Window Company in Lewisham, London specialises in steel replacement windows, installing them to houses all over the UK as well as being featured on Channel 4’s Grand Designs.
Many aluminium systems companies offer slimline aluminium windows that are not specifically intended as Steel Replacement Windows, yet are widely used for this purpose. You can obtain odd leg or equal leg windows with minimal sight lines that can achieve a similar aesthetic to traditional steel windows.
However, if you are looking for a more authentic appearance, we suggest you look at the window systems designed from the outset as a replacement for steel in terms of aesthetics and hardware choices. This is where our website can help. Contact us if you are looking for steel replacement windows, door or screens. There is also some useful information about the cost of steel replacement windows and factors affecting the price.
Steel replacement windows in aluminium still offer the slim lines, strength and extensive colour choices associated with the broader ranges of aluminium windows and doors. Windows images are steel replacement windows manufactured by Everglade Windows of Middlesex.
Crittall® is a registered trademark of Crittall Windows Limited which is unconnected to the Aluminium Trade Supply Website.