Glass performs many functions in today’s modern lifestyles and remains a critical element of all fenestration. Technically, glass has many dimensions and capabilities. It is one of the vital components that enables windows and doors to perform their function, whether it is thermal efficiency, security, privacy or important safety functions.
Glass continues to be available in single plate or safety glass, double glazed units, triple glazed units and units of mixed construction for acoustic or other purposes.
In households, different glass can be used for various rooms in the home, whether it is internally or externally for windows, roof lights or a conservatory. For each of these common double glazing products different glass can be chosen or enhanced to provide many comforts and benefits. These include
- Solar Control
- Heat Retention
- Noise Control
- Impact resistance to prevent accidents and injury
- Self cleaning properties
- High security, preventing crime.
- Self Cleaning capability
- Decorative, practical or architectural uses such as glass staircases and floors.
Glass technology has changed significantly over recent years with many options available to provide solutions for virtually the entire home.
For commercial glazing applications, glass is a key feature of architecture and building design generally. The modern capabilities of glass has enabled buildings to be bolder and more dramatic than ever before. Today glass and its associated products has enabled construction to move away from more traditional materials. Stunning facades, high rise atria and the wide use of colour all play a vital part in commercial building design and construction.
Commercially, glass can offer many benefits:
- Providing comfortable working spaces through solar control
- Security through blast and bullet resistant glazing
- Impact and injury prevention through safety glazing
- Fire protection with fire resistance
- Control of Acoustics
- Reducing carbon footprint and saving energy
- The creation of frameless glass doors and screens
- Structural capabilities with inherent strength
- The use of glass architectural panels to create colour and aesthetic appeal
There are a wide variety of glass products available from leading names such as Pilkington Glass, Saint Gobain, Solaglass and others. Contact us for information or advice.